ARC Rutland Area
Phone: (802) 775-1370
Address: 128 Merchants Row STE 401, Rutland, VT 05701
Mission of Organization: Mission Statement: To advocate for the right of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families to be regarded as valued citizens with the same entitlements as non-disabled individuals, including the right to lifelong opportunities for personal growth and full participation in the community.
How does Mission of your Org relate to Project Vision, or advance PV’s Mission: ARC’s mission is one of full community inclusion for people living with Intellectual and development disabilities (I/DD). I believe this directly mirrors PV’s values of positive and collaboration
How would your Org like to collaborate with other individuals or organizations: Through continual evolution and support.
Resources and Engaged Community Partners:
- A4TD Secured part-time office assistant
- Boys & Girls Club ARC’s Aktion Club adopted a Christmas foster family via B&G Club
- BROC Offered office equipment
- Castleton University Community Inclusion – Transition Fare, Classroom Ability Awareness Training
- Community Care Network Partner and Resource – Monthly use of club meeting space
- Elks – Rutland Sponsors two ARC member dinner – dances
- GE Community Concerns Sponsor
- Green Mountain Self Advocates Meeting Partner, Resource and Supporter – Voices & Choices
- Kiwanis Club – Rutland Aktion Club Sponsor and Resource
- Mandala House Community Partner – Volunteers painting Wing Center Space
- Marble Valley Transit Transportation Partner and Supporter
- Mentor Connector Community Partner – Team ARC participated in Mentor Bowl 2020
- Mission City Church Partner and Resource – Included 30 ARC members in Night to Shine 2020
- RSVP Secured office and project volunteers and well as Christmas present donation
- Rutland Autism Family Group Partner and Resource
- Rutland Regional High School Presenter at Information Fair – Global Studies
- Rutland Regional Planning Commission Partner and Resource – ED Ross serves on Transportation Committee
- Rutland Sheriffs Dept. Sponsor and Resource – Sponsored Aktion Clubs 2019 fund Raiser Car Wash
- Tatum’s Totes Partner and Resource – Self Advocates donated $150 to TT for young people in DCF
- United Way Sponsor and Resource – Aktion Club held 2019 UWRC community fund raiser
- US Census Hosted Mr. Peter Hathaway (presentation) at Aktion Club / Self Advocates meeting
- Vermont Adaptive Physical Activity Partner – Summer 2019 Paddling & Picnic / Pico Snow Skiing
- VT Developmental Disability Council Supporter and Resource – ED attended summit and SABE-R members attended “Story Telling” seminar
- VT Family Network Community Resource and Reference
What opportunities are there for your Org to become more involved with PV: Self-Advocates (SABE-R) and AKtion Club: In the latest rolling twelve months ARC facilitated twelve individual, monthly meetings for both the Self Advocates Becoming Empowered- Rutland (SABE-R) and the AKtion club, a member of the Kiwanis Family. ARC sponsored several abilities awareness trainings in conjunction with Green Mountain Self Advocates. SABE-R sets group and individual goals while practicing advocacy and communication skills to become leaders and teachers. The AKtion Club is a community service club. Activities include fund raisers, “Creative Minds” developing craft projects and sharing life experiences, hand crafting Christmas Cards for the American Troops, participation in Relay For Life, and will be donating to Tatum’s Totes to assist a foster family at Christmas.
ARC’s AKtion Club and Self Advocates Becoming Empowered – Rutland (SABE-R) are a powerful and innovative group of individuals. With transportation and volunteer support Team ARC embraces the opportunity to be a member of PV and the Rutland area community.
- What is the greatest challenge with which your Org needs help?:
- Community Awareness
- Volunteers and Support*
*ARC is a small two person operation, one full-time, on part-time. Their is a want and will to engage and participate. Committed volunteers could assist with this becoming a reality.
Additional suggestions or comments: The Mary and Leonard F Wing Resource and Sensory Center, The Wing Center, will be launching in 2020. This convertible space will transform from a quiet retreat with soothing sounds and lighting to a life skill and activity area. Each day, ARC will offer 3 hours of sensory time and 2 hours of life skill learning and interpersonal activities. We are actively seeking funding to bring this amazing space to life.