Monthly Meeting Notes – June 8, 2017
June 8, 2017
Come Alive Outside – Andy
- Farm to school program
- Passport program: parks & farmers market
- 100 miles in 100 days – challenge to walk 1 mile per day for the summer: June 16th kick off event (win a free pair of shoes!)
Mary Sigman – new Executive Director at RCPCC
Jo… Sober living house on Baxter Street
Jake – Youthworks
Red Cross: Sound the Alarm program:
Train people to go into homes to install smoke alarms and come up with an escape plan
RCPD is bringing back the bike program: Training 4 officers for this summer
Onyx House: Eric, co-manager of Onyx House
- Step Down Program for Mandala – women who have graduated from Mandala
- Want to open it up for all women coming out of stable housing program
- Looking for an on-site, live-in supervisor/monitor of home during certain hours, may provide stipend: Will be sending description to Scott
Dream Center: Linda Justin
Project Jabez – link people in the community with people who are struggling; Looking for funds to house a couple.
NeighborWorks of Western Vermont: Bianca
- TAG VISION – youth meeting, public art project is launched!
- Sustainability: those who participate this year will go on to mentor the team next year
- Project VISION metric – would love more data from organizations! AmeriCorps term ends in August and hoping to get it done before then. Email Bianca at email@example.com
- Summer Festival this Saturday, June 10th – Park Ave from 11-2. Event is 100% free. Lots of vendors, composting workshop, bike workshop, Rutland Rec – bike race at 1 PM, BBQ, ice cream, live music.
Habitat for Humanity: Dick Malley
- Groundbreaking at 42 Cleveland Ave at 9 AM on Saturday
- Speeches and introduction of family: Matt & Kim Johnson
- Will be sending out notice when volunteers are needed (slab must be poured first)
Rutland Redevelopment Authority: Brennan Duffy
Gateway improvement project: Strongs Ave corridor, $300,000
- 4 enhanced crosswalks with plantings – safety element for pedestrians
- Vermont Rail System building will be painted, cement will be torn out and turned into green strip with trees, added fence to hide railyard.
- Need 6-8 volunteers for painting: Sunday morning 6/11 @ 7 AM – 11 AM (there will be coffee and donuts)
Child First advocacy center: looking for sponsors, participants for softball tournament
Mural on Vermont Rail System? If this happens in the fall, ACF could do grilling and bounce house
CCV Course on Color Theory has done indoor murals in prior semester(s).
TAG Arts: Water Street – late summer, community input session? Get Cubs scouts/girls scouts involved?
Alliance Community Fellowship & Vermont Refugee Resettlement Program: Movie and discussion event, “Warehoused” on June 26 7-9 @ ACF
Youthworks – June 18th – August 6 (closed week of July 7): Crew size: 5-15 people
Workforce Investment Board
- Looking for someone to teach/support young men (Three Steps Forward program curriculum)
- Wrap around services for young men – academic, understanding how to run a budget, soft skills – to help them find meaningful employment in one year
- Funding from Bowse Trust for 3 years