COVID-19 Resources
News

PV Monthly Meeting Notes – January 14th, 2020

Below are the meeting notes for the January monthly meeting. 73 attendees participated in this meeting, which was held virtually via Zoom from 12pm – 1:15pm on January 14th, 2020.

 

To download the meeting notes, click here.

  • Welcome by PV Chair-Mark Stockton

    • Inaugural meeting of Mark Stockton as PV Chairperson
    • Introduction of 3 first-time attendees to PV meeting
  • Chief Kilcullen remarks.

    • Matthew Prouty retires from the PD on April 1st
      • Greg Sheldon will replace Prouty as the PV Executive Director
        • In years past, Sheldon was a sergeant in the community response team under both Tucker, the first PV Executive Director, and Prouty, giving him professional exposure to Project VISION
        • Currently, Sheldon is a commander in the patrol division
        • He holds a master’s degree in Leadership
    • Rutland PD’s implicit bias training, led by Nikki Fuller, will occur soon
      • There are three groups that will be trained: rank-and-file police officers; supervisor police officers; PV Community Policing Subcommittee and Rutland City Police Commission
      • The PV subcommittee and Police Commission’s training is scheduled for February 2nd, 2:30-4:30 pm
    • Some RCPD officers received their first dose of the CoVid-19 vaccination last week
  • PV Executive Matt Prouty remarks

    • Although Prouty retires in a couple of months, he has significant time commitments in the interim
      • February will likely be Matt’s last PV monthly meeting, though there is a chance he won’t be able to attend
      • Impromptu thanking of Matt for all his work and inclusive, flexible, and ‘yes’ leadership style
  • Fundraiser Update- Rev. Oskamp, Rutland United Methodist Church

    • A big thanks to all who participated in this season’s virtual chocolate fest
    • VT Truffle Company partnered with the church, enabling the church to give truffles to those who donates
    • The church raised over $4,000 this season
      • The church distributed the raised funds to the following organizations: Dismas House; NewStory Center; Rutland Community Cupboard; BROC; West Rutland Food Shelf; The Dodge House; Soup Bowls for Hunger
    • In a non-CoVid, in-person season, the church typically raises around $10,000
      • Continuing a virtual option in conjunction to in-person fundraisers will be considered in the future
  • Announcements

    • Caprice Hover
      • Just prior to Christmas, the United Way dispersed $50,000 of CoVid relief funding that it acquired through grants to regional organizations
    • Jeanette Langston
      • Light Up Rutland event was a success
        • Among those who joined the decoration competition and those who voted, approximately 1,000 people participated in the event
        • Event raised $350
          • Donated to NewStory Center
        • Event will be done again next year
      • Jeanette will send an email to the PV community in the coming weeks about a ‘Night to Shine’ program she is involved in for the region
        • ‘Night to Shine’ is a philanthropic program supported by NFL player Tim Tebow to provide a prom night experience for teenagers with special needs
        • Reach out to Jeanette if you would like to become involved at jlangstonmt@gmail.com
      • A new LGTBQ advocacy group for the Rutland region will be formally established in the coming month
        • More information will be shared with the PV community then
        • Contact Jeanette if you would like to become involved
    • Ron Pulcer
    • Al Wakefield
      • Bob Harnish, Matt Prouty, and Al brought the declaration of inclusivity to a group of legislators this past week with the hope that it will be integrated into the legislative agenda
      • Intention to aggressively follow up to help ensure it is pursued and implemented
    • Darla Senecal
      • Building Bright Futures’ “How are Vermont’s Young Children and Families” report is now released and accessible here
      • If you would like to receive a presentation on the report, contact Darla at dsenecal@buildingbrightfutures.org
  • Committee Updates

    • Community Building/Neighborhood Engagement
      • See a Need, Meet a Need is always active and referring requests
      • Community Policing Subcommittee hopes to meet by the end of the month both in preparation for the implicit bias training and to expand on email thread discussions that emerged following the Washington DC capital riot
      • Cynthia Fortier had to step down as chair from Neighborhood Engagement
        • There is currently a search for a new chair
        • Subcommittee has been on hold over the course of this CoVid winter
    • Health Committee
      • If you have interest in contributing to the data collection of the hospital’s Community Health Needs Assessment, fill out this form
      • Monthly Health Committee meeting will be next week – reach out to Jamie if you want to join
        • Sarah Roy is temporarily not involved in Heath Committee functions as she is assisting the state in its CoVid response. She will return to her normal capacity in the committee as co-chair once this assignment is complete
      • Nonopioid Committee did a lot of work with the recent Zoom for the Holidays event
        • Unfortunately, no one took advantage of it
        • Committee is regrouping will look for what project they want to tackle next
    • Youth Engagement discussion
      • The two committees each have a subcommittee centered around youth engagement
        • Youth Engagement Subcommittee of the Community Building/ Neighborhood Engagement Committee hosts on-the-ground activities and events to engage youth
        • Mentoring Youth Subcommittee of the Health Committee has a systems approach to encourage healthy practices among the “3rd space” of kids – when they are not in school or at home
      • Mentoring Youth Subcommittee is working to develop a survey for middle and high schoolers on what they look for in the community and what they want to happen
      • There is an effort to coordinate the pop-up youth engagement side of things with the system’s level approach on youth work that these two subcommittees respectively pursue
        • Additionally, there is an ongoing effort to link the work of numerous youth groups in the greater Rutland region and VT
      • Vermont Youth Project is hosting two upcoming workshops on Zoom
        • Jan. 21, 4-530pm – workshop for parents and caregivers around collaborating to increase youth’s protective factors
        • Jan. 28, 1-230pm – strategizing and strengthening third space opportunities
  • Uplifting or positive story!!

    • Another round of thanks to Matt – he has the great personality trait of letting people know they are heard and has been an impeccable leader for Project VISION
    • This ongoing leadership transition for both PV Chairperson and Executive Director has gone well and is very uplifting to see
  •  
  •  
      •  
    •  

 

 

 

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *